Wednesday 8 July 2015

Mixed Media Blues

Yay! I'm back. Have you been wondering what happened to me? Had you forgotten me?

Well, without going in to too many details, I lost my mojo, because I've been grieving due to the loss of my Mum, who passed away a few months ago. My Dad passed away last year and my Uncle also 5 weeks after my Mum. So I've been feeling sad and working out what I want to do now that my life has changed.

I'm slowly trying to get back in to crafting because that's always been such a relaxing and wonderful escape for me. I've also been remiss in keeping up with everyone else's blogs, so I hope to catch up with all my crafty friends to see what you've all been doing!

Anyhow, today I have made a card for the Mixed Media Card Challenge. The theme is really fun this month - *Blue* with an option to include a vase. There is so much gorgeous inspiration over on the blog - here and here.



I die cut lots of blooms from a Poppy stamp die and coloured them with Peerless watercolours, distress inks and Inktense watercolour pencils.  Then I layered them on a circle which had been shaped to make it pop in the centre. I added some micro beads for extra interest.
The jar and stem were drawn and coloured with Inktense pencil. I embossed the background for extra texture and added a splatter (oops - I should have done it before I mounted it on the blue card) and an acetate butterfly from Heidi Swapp for a bit of fun.


I hope you like it and decide to join in the challenge - it really is a fun theme.

I am also entering the Anything But Cute challenge - Summer Romance.


14 comments:

  1. So glad your mojo is returning, Jenny, I've been missing your lovely cards :) This one' so pretty - I like how you've built up the flowers and the hand-drawn vase.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow, such a pretty card!!! love the hydrangea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jenny. I'm glad to see you back creating again. It's good that you took some time for yourself and I hope that getting back into crafting will bring you some much needed joy. Your card is beautiful. Love the soft and delicate colours of the flower and mason jar ... and all that amazing dimension from your die-cut blossoms. Loll xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous card.
    It is important to take time. We never forget our special people, we learn each day how to go on without their presence.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First, let me say I'm sorry for the loss of your Mum, Dad and Uncle this year; it must be so painful to have them all leave you in such a short period of time.

    I have to say I think you mojo returned in full force! Welcome back! This is a lovely card, and I really love those flowers that remind me of my hydrangea bushes that are in full swing right now! Your coloring of your Ball mason jar is phenomenal and I love that you added the splatter lastly! I think it's great the way it ties the focal image to your base card, and I would have done it intentionally! :) Thank you for joining our Summer Romance challenge at Anything But Cute! Hugs! Sara Emily

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my such a stunning creation! Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I am so sorry for your loss! It's so sad! Welcome back with this fabulous card! I adore your amazingly beautiful flowers and your perfectly coloured mason jar! I love how you added the splatter at the end, it looks perfect! Awesome summery card!
    Thank you so much for joining in our 'Summer Romance' challenge at Anything But Cute!
    Branka DT x

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry for all of your losses Jenny - it is a different world we enter when both our parents are gone - but we carry them with us always in the way we live our lives from their example - I love this beautiful hydrangea blossom in the sweet jar! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am really sorry that you have suffered so many tragic losses, life is a horrible thing! You seem to be back in mojo land Jenny because this is stunning! I am blown away by the dimension you achieved on that hydrangea, my most favourite flower by the way! I love the twine around the mason jar and the little splashes of blue in the background, genius!

    Thank you so much for joining us at Anything But Cute for our 'Summer Romance' challenge! Hugs, Pamellia DT :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so very sorry for all your losses in such short time...I can only imagine how hard it must be!
    Now regarding your card...it is so very pretty, I especially love the twine around the mason jar! Such a great touch!
    Thank you so very kindly for joining the Summer Romance challenge I am hosting at Anything But Cute!!
    Samra DT

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry to hear about your loss. Can't be easy, but I can relate to it on some level and dare I say art has helped me cope to a large extent with my own loss. Glad to see your mojo back , this card is just stunning. Your colouring of both d flowers and the mason jar had me admiring your card for a long time. Wowsers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh goodness dearie! Life is so full of trials and tribulations. I am very sorry for your losses and can't even imagine how strong you are. Thank you for sharing part of your story of this thing we call Life. Your art has a profound statement and I am so very happy that you shared this stunning design. Your flower is superbly well done and the way you have drawn your jar is stupendious. I love the little detail of the stem in the water being "bent" due to the light refraction of the water. gorgeous!

    Thanks for joining in our Summer Romance challenge at Anything But Cute! Hugz! ~Niki DT

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so striking and really really lovely. It has such depth as well Cx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry you're feeling blue, but this blue card makes me feel wonderful. That hydrangea is totally gorgeous, Jenny. Take care.

    ReplyDelete